You slipped in a puddle of spilled coffee at the café this morning, and you fell. You’re hurt, and you’re not sure what to do next.
If you think you have a personal injury claim, the steps you take right after a slip-and-fall accident will be crucial for building your case.
Keep reading to learn the first steps you need to take.
- Report the incident. Make sure to let the owner, landlord, or manager in charge of the property know about your injury.
- Seek medical attention, if necessary. The sooner you get treatment and documentation of your injuries, the better. Don’t wait to get help. If you delay your visit, the insurance carrier may have reason to believe your injury isn’t as serious as you know it is.
- Document the incident. Take as many photos as possible of the conditions that led to your injury at different angles and distances. Write down as many details as you can remember, such as what you were doing before you fell, and the exact time and date.
- Find witnesses? If there were any people who saw you fall, write down their names and contact information or save them in your phone. Their testimony will likely be needed later to help strengthen your claim.
- Don’t talk with an insurance company. If an insurance agent contacts you, don’t sign anything or agree to have a recorded conversation with them. They will do everything they can to not have to pay you what you deserve.
- Call an experienced attorney. When considering pursuing legal action, an experienced attorney is your best bet. You’ll need to move fast because personal injury cases have specific time limits. Many slip-and-fall cases are complicated and hard to prove, you’ll want the resources of a successful law firm on your side. At Kaiman and Crahan, we have the experience, knowledge, and a proven record of success to get you the settlement you deserve.
Contact Us Today
If you or someone you care about were injured in a slip and fall accident, we can help. Don’t get stuck paying for medical bills for an injury caused by someone else. Remember to take these steps immediately and reach out to Kaiman and Crahan online, or simply call 502-771-0741!