An auto accident is a terrifying experience for anyone. Many people feel overwhelmed in this type of incident and aren’t sure what steps to take following an accident.
We’re here to help with a few tips that can help you handle this situation in the best way possible.
Immediately, following an accident, here are a few things that you should do:
- Check for injuries and call emergency medical help if needed.
- Do your best to remain calm, and do not admit to fault or apologize to any other parties involved in the accident.
- DO NOT move your vehicle out of traffic until the police arrive. If you are safely able to do so, take photos of the damage to BOTH vehicles.
- Call the police. Even if the accident is minor, it is a good idea to have a police report filed.
- Collect information from other drivers, passengers, and witnesses. Important information to obtain includes: insurance, driver’s license, and contact information.
- Take photos or videos of the scene, any damage, and injuries.
In the days or weeks following an accident, follow these steps:
- If you are injured from the wreck, seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY. Being evaluated by a doctor soon after a wreck is the best way to recover from your injuries, and gain documentation of your injuries obtained from the accident.
- Be careful talking to insurance companies until you have an attorney.
- Get in touch with an experienced accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Remember these tips so you can better handle an accident if you find yourself in that situation. If you have been injured in a vehicle accident, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (502)771-0741.