Although driving behind a school bus can be a commuting nightmare for some, it is important to take extra care during school bus stops to prevent accidents from happening.
When it comes to school bus accidents, the safest place to be is actually on the bus. As a motor vehicle driver, then, it is essential to come to a complete stop, watch for children and use caution when approaching school buses.
Here are some troubling statistics regarding school bus crashes (2001-2010):
- 72% were occupants of other vehicles involved
- 21% were non-occupants: pedestrians, cyclists, etc.
- 7% were occupants of school transportation vehicles
Although some accidents are unavoidable, it is essential to do your best in prevention. Use these measures below:
- Understand the school bus stopping laws in your state.
- Review these bus stop safety tips with your family.
- Refrain from distracted driving.
- Whether walking, driving, or cycling, always maintain a safe distance from school buses.
Have additional questions about school bus accidents and claims? Reach out to us at Kaiman & Crahan today at 502.771.0741 to learn more.