Summer is here, the water feels just right, and the weekend is here. Time to take the boat out to the lake or Ohio River and have some fun in the sun! But before you sail away, you should be taking all necessary safety precautions.
Boating Accident Causes
- Operating under the influence. It is illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Doing so can put you and others on the boat in danger.
- Operator inexperience. There are many factors at play when handling a boat. It takes skill and experience to do so correctly. An inexperienced operator may struggle to operate the boat safely.
- Dangerous weather. Strong winds and very rough waves can make going out during storms or other natural events risky. Going out during poor weather conditions increases the risk of a boating accident.
- Speeding. Because it is so easy to lose control of the boat, a safe speed must always be maintained.
- Boat Malfunction. When a part of the boat is built with a defect or stops working, this can put the whole boat and the guests aboard in danger.
- Inattention. A designated person or people should be in charge of looking out through sight and hearing at all times. By not paying attention to surroundings, a boating accident may occur.
Common Types of Boating Accidents
The most common type of boating accident is falling overboard. Other common accidents include:
- Capsizing. This is when the boat turns over due to a collision or a powerful wave.
- Collision with a fixed object. This happens when the boat collides with an object that is not moving.
- Collision with moving vessel. A collision occurs when two or more recreational vessels collide.
- Jumping off. Often while under the influence of alcohol, passengers who deliberately leap off the boat fall under this category. Their rationale may include excessive speed or sudden change in direction.
- Flooding. The boat is not entirely sinking but is filling up with water to the extent that it is causing danger to the passengers aboard.
Be prepared and stay alert this summer. Always make sure you have an experienced operator and someone keeping an eye out for possible danger at all times. If you have been involved in a boating accident in Kentucky or Southern Indiana and are in need of legal representation, reach out to the team at Kaiman and Crahan, PLLC.