Over 1.5 million people deal with traumatic brain injuries each year according to the CDC. Head injuries lead to around 80,000 to 90,000 life-long disabilities.
Because the brain is such a vital organ, many daily activities can be much more difficult and may require the help of others. Due to the serious nature of this type of injury, victims should seek legal help as soon as possible.
Average Settlement Amount for Head Injury
The amount of compensation varies greatly depending on many factors including who was responsible, the severity of injury/effects, costs, cause of injury, and location. This figure can range from a few thousand dollars to millions of dollars. Findings from lawyers.com indicate an average settlement of $77,600. Without a lawyer, that figure goes down to around $17,600.
Types of Expenses
- Economic damages: The injured person’s expenses that directly result from the injury such as medical bills, loss of income, or property damage.
- Non-economic damages: The injured person’s non-quantifiable costs such as pain and suffering, lower quality of life, or loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages: These damages cover gross negligence or intentional action of the other party.
Symptoms of Head Injury
- Headache or “pressure” in head.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Balance problems or dizziness, or double or blurry vision.
- Bothered by light or noise.
- Feeling sluggish, hazy, foggy, or groggy.
- Confusion, concentration, or memory problems.
- Just not “feeling right,” or “feeling down”.
Speak to a Head Injury Attorney
Protect your rights after the accident and get legal help quickly. Know that you are more likely to secure a larger settlement with the help of an attorney. We have worked with countless head injury victims and know how devastating an impact this injury can have on your life. Contact Kaiman & Crahan today for a free consultation to discuss your case specifics.